Ridgegourd/Peerkangai is also proven to keep us strong against the H1N1 virus. It has got its own attributes which will keep us strong along with other natural ingredients. Ridgegourd/Peerkangai can be made in to kootu or porichakootu or Thogiyal. Mostly, I make it as thogaiyal since my husband really likes it very much and also, it goes for Idly or Dosas.
Cho Chow/Chayote/Bangalore kathirikaiis a versatile vegetable. Always, Thogaiyal and kootu goes for a best combination as Dry and Gravy. Atleast Once a week, i will get this Chow Chow and make it as kootu or Porichakootu.SInce my mother and husband have similar taste buds, I did this Thogaiyal and Kootu :)
Here is the recipe for Peerkangai Thogaiyal:
Peerkangai- 1 to 1.5 ( Peel it and take off the seeds inside. No need to take it completetly,here are there should be okay and cut it in to cubes)
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Urad dal : 1 tsp
Tamarind : a small piece
Long Red CHillies - 2-3
Coconut- 2 tsps
Perungayam/Hing/Asafoetida- 1 tsp
Curry leaves and COrianer leaves
1) In a kadai with oil, put mustard and wait till it splutters.
2) Add urad dal, fry till it turns golden brown and add tamarind, Long Red CHillies, Pepper, Coconut , Perungayam .Just keep it for 2 mintues and cool it
3) In the same kadai , put little oil, and put the Ridgegourd/Peerkangai and salt ,fry till the it turns dry. Note: No need to fry completely. and Cool it.
4) After this, Grind 2+3 . Add very less water. It should be thick like thokku.
Ta..Da its ready. Now, its Chow Chow kootu:
Chow Chow- 3 ( peeled and cut in to cubes.Remember to take the seeds and the white part out)
Paitham Parupu/Moong dal-1/2 cup
Coconut- 1/2 cup
Jeera- 2 tsp
Green chillies- 2-3 (According to your taste)
Urad dal - 1 spn
CUrry leaves and COriander Leaves
Asafoetida/Perungayam: 1 tsp
1) In a cooker you can keep CHow CHow and Moong dal together for about 3-4 whistles.
2) While doing so, grind Coconut, Jeera and Green chillies in to paste.
3) In a kadai with oil, put the mustard and wait till it splutters. Add Urad Dal, Asafoetida,and put the 1+ 2.Let it boil for about 10 minutes.
4) Atlast Garnish with Coriander and Curry leaves.
You can have Thogaiyal sadam/Rice with this kootu and I bet it tastes so yummy and delicious.