Shrimp Pasta in White Sauce

One of my sisters sent me this recipe back in 2004 - I can't believe I have only made it once before last night. Josh is a huge Fettuccine Alfredo lover. I seriously think that he would eat it weekly if I made it that often. I am usually a huge cheater with my Alfredo sauce, though. They sell these sauce packets at a nearby grocery store, and they taste so good when prepared that I usually use them. But after making this pasta last night, I realized that it is just as easy to make your own sauce. I don't know why I don't do it more often!!

This recipe is extremely versatile. You can change the cheese - the recipe calls for Parmesan and I used Pecorino Romano. My sister's original recipe calls for scallops, but I used shrimp, but it would also be delish with chicken, bacon or cra
b. Ohh, or even salmon would be great. (I have actually never prepared scallops before, so maybe I will try that next time!) The asparagus could also easily be substituted - broccoli, peas....the possibilities are endless! I used the evaporated milk instead of cream, and it did not compromise the flavor or texture at all. I did overcook my asparagus, though. I just got my steamer for Christmas, and don't have the times down for different veggies, so I need to work on that. But this was yummy! Josh was extremely pleased - I got tons of compliments!!

Shrimp Pasta in White Sauce

1/2 c butter
1 c sliced mushrooms
1/4 onion, diced
1 lb shrimp, peeled & amp; deveined
1/4 c flour
1 c chicken broth
1 c cream or evaporated milk
1/2 c fresh Parmesan cheese
dash of nutmeg
1/4 t garlic powder
3/4 c steamed asparagus, but on a diagonal in 1/2 in. pieces
12 oz pasta noodles

Boil water in a large saucepan. Add noodles and cook until al dente.

In the meantime, melt 1/4 c butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook the onions and then add mushrooms and cook until both are tender. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp have changed color and are cooked through.

In another large saucepan, melt the other 1/4 c butter. Add flour and stir until combined. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Then stir in chicken broth, cream, and pepper to taste. Add garlic powder and nutmeg to taste as well. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Simmer 5-10 minutes or until it thickens. Stir the mushroom-shrimp mixture and asparagus into the sauce and combine. Serve over hot pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment